writing and workshops to engage your audience, win business and elevate your brand
puffinthink was founded by Michaela Southby, a communications specialist with an eye for vision, detail and results. She leads a small, flexible team of amazing, experienced independent communicators to meet your needs as they arise.
We have extraordinary experience
We see the big picture and deliver the detail
We’re easy to work with because we know our stuff and we have fun
We keep things simple, saving time and money
- Quick Audit: getting your comms house in order so everyone knows what you stand for, and how to communicate it (think frameworks, processes, tools for the job).
- Content Marketing: strengthening your on-line presence, creating original and rather clever content to drive industry leadership and engagement.
- Writing solutions: building your brand through a consistent story and voice across the board, from CEO monthly update or stakeholder e-news, to winning tenders, award submissions and annual reports.
- Brand development: creating or refreshing your visual identity, building your style guide, and communicating it to the team.
- People and culture: supporting your HR team to create well written policies, procedures, and intranet, that engage your people and reinforce your values.
- Training and workshops: facilitating your workshops for you, or delivering our own writing, brand management or team building workshops (tailored to your unique needs).
Let’s discuss what’s working, and what’s not. We’ll soon have you at a whole new level, sometimes in the simplest of ways.
Contact us to discuss your needs, and we’ll offer you a quote. We have hourly rates, project rates and package rates, all up for discussion.
who we are
Michaela Southby founding principal
Michaela brings over 20 years experience in brand management and corporate communications, and a decade consulting and in freelance journalism. She’s worked for global and national brands, alongside amazing corporate affairs teams, executives and creatives in London, Sydney and Perth. Her industry exposure includes health and wellbeing, resources, media, hospitality, trade and legal. She has set the editorial agenda for campaigns and businesses of all sizes, built frameworks for stakeholder connection, and developed tools to keep people engaged and informed. She easily applies strategy and vision with creative execution through all media, be it social, print or web. Michaela has written prolifically in-house and as a freelance including winning tenders, corporate websites and collateral, social content, and for national and state magazines and newspapers on a range of issues relating to business and life away from the office.
Michaela has run loads of workshops and training sessions, covering all manner of topics including health and wellbeing, business writing skills, media/content management, brand and values development, and team building. As a registered and practicing psychotherapist also, she brings an added dimension to her corporate consultancy, and particular knowledge of the health and wellbeing sector.
Sam Coombs principal
Sam’s been writing professionally for years, her work appearing in newspapers and magazines in Australia and beyond, including The West Australian, Better Photography, Inside Sport, Australian Natural Health, Wellbeing, Holidays with Kids, Stage Whispers, and Scoop. With a BA in Comms, Journalism and Public Relations, she has handled editorial across public and private sectors including the Department of Transport, WorkCover WA, Kasa Consulting and Greening Australia, as well as being associate to a number of public relations firms. She has a Diploma of Education and experience in secondary education, teaching English and Humanities, leading to excellence as a workshop and training presenter and facilitator in business writing skills, team building and management and other tailored training for clients.
She has particular expertise in supporting not-for-profits and the education sector.
Zoë Croft senior associate
Zoe is a key puffinthink associate. She has 20 years experience delivering stakeholder engagement and communication solutions for multi-million-dollar projects in the construction, engineering and mining industries. A skilled strategist, Zoe specialises in creating and writing targeted tender and bid management solutions for businesses of all sizes and focus.